Goji berries are bright orange-red berries commonly found China. Across Asia, this fruit has been consumed for its numerous benefits for generations. The goji berries have for ages been used in the treatment of common health complications such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
There are different ways to consume these berries. While some prefer to eat them raw, others will consume them cooked or even dried. Today, the goji berries can be found in some herbal medicines, teas, and wines.
What makes goji berries special is their high nutrition content. These fruits contain:
- High-quality proteins consisting of all essential amino acids necessary for growth and repair
- Over 20 different minerals, including calcium, selenium, and iron
- Vitamins A, B, C and E
- Extremely high level of antioxidants such as carotenoids beta-carotene as well as zeaxanthin, which are essential in scavenging free radicals in our bodies protecting the cells from any oxidative stress
- Rich in essential fatty acids needed help with anti-inflammatory pathways as well as supporting the nervous system.
- Features polysaccharides, which is a type of a complex carbohydrate renowned for its vast health quality. In fact, most of the fruits and vegetables we eat offer some of these components, although only a few will have such amounts as the goji berries. This is one of the reasons why these berries are quite impressive.
With all the above nutritional components, are goji berries good for you? Discussed below are some of the benefits of goji berries:
- Key to a healthy and glowing skin
Goji berries are packed with beta-carotenes which are a natural pigment in plants and that is known to promote healthy skin.
- Protects the body
Goji berries are extremely rich in Vitamin C that is proven effective in reducing cold symptoms. Regular consumption of these berries has also been found to protect the eyes while at the same time reducing their ageing process and vision.
- Packed with Antioxidants
Just like any other berry, gojis are a rich source of antioxidants. These berries are a great source of antioxidants given their exceptional oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) value.The ORAC value represents the fruit’s antioxidant power. A high level of antioxidants is effective in the removal of potentially harmful oxidising agents.
Detox is one of the hardest endeavours you will ever undertake. Goji berries are loaded with nutrition that gives you high energy levels. This makes them ideal foods to supplement your detox diet with their rich and irresistible taste. Fitness experts recommend including the goji berries in a protein shake, salad, and snack for the much-needed fibre content. Gojis have a high fibre content that ensures you stay fuller for longer thus fighting binge eating. Goji berries are highly recommended snacks instead of a chocolate bar.
- Lower blood pressure
Goji berries are widely believed to help reduce blood pressure while at the same time lowering the blood sugar level thanks to their high concentration of antioxidants and vitamins. For ages, the Chinese have used these berries in the treatment of diabetes among other ailments caused by high blood pressure such as stroke.
With the above benefits in mind, are goji berries good for you? Without a doubt, you stand to benefit by including these berries in your daily diet. Goji barriers are viewed as superfoods as to the numerous health benefits they have to offer. Unfortunately, like most superfoods in the market, goji berries tend to be quite expensive.